Main Forum
Page
of 2

Mercenary Pyrotech Guide - PVE

17 replies
253 posts
+9 Cookie's
Hall of Famer
Hey guys, I will eventually be prettying this up a bit. But for now it will have to do!

Pyro Guide (Work In Progress)

Pyro 2.0+ PVE Spec 0/10/36

*Hired Muscle can be used in place of Stabilizers if the encounter suffers little pushback from damage taken.

Gear:
Dread Forged BiS Chart
Kell Dragon BiS Chart (Archive)
Quote:
Set Bonus: The new 4pc grants 8% damage increase to Rail Shot. Rail Shot is King for Pyrotechs, so get this!

BiS Augments: Advanced Reflex Augment 28
BiS Relics: Dread Forged Relic of Serendipitous Assault | Dread Forged Relic of Focused Retribution.
BiS Stats In Full 78 Gear: Aim > Accuracy (100/110%) > Crit (280 rating) > Power > Surge > Alacrity
Quote:
Accuracy: Goal = 470 rating = 100.43/110.43%. Get this to at least 99/109% before worrying about Surge.
Surge: Goal = 470 rating = 72.96%
Power/Crit: You can fall anywhere between 200-360 crit and not see a noticeable difference in average dps output.

As Barrage is to Arsenal, Prototype Particle Accelerator (PPA) is to Pyrotech. PPA resets the cooldown on Rail Shot (RS) and makes the next use free to use. RS is a powerful hit by itself, but because of another talent Super-Heated Rail, which buffs RS more AND causes it to vent 8 heat on use AND refreshes the Combustible Gas Cylinder’s burn if present, it’s even stronger. Since the number one rule for a mercenary is to maximize output while minimizing heat use, RS is divine in nature :sick:

The Pyrotech uses a sort of rotation/priority system hybrid. More or less, it is a rotation….but because there is some RNG factors that can slightly alter your rotation, a priority system still does exist. You can reliably proc PPA every 6s if you follow a strict pattern in your rotation. Let’s begin with a legend for the abilities:

PS = Power Shot
TD = Thermal Detonator
IM = Incendiary Missile
RS = Rail Shot
UL = Unload
EN = Electro Net
TSO = Thermal Sensor Override
FM = Fusion Missile
RP = Rapid Shots
PPA = Prototype Particle Accelerator
VH = Vent Heat

So we base our rotation around procing PPA every 6s, this is feasible MOST of the time, occasionally you will have a delay on this rate by 1 GCD (1.5s) making it 7.5s between procs. You should NEVER make PPA wait more than 7.5s or you’re hurting your sustained dps significantly. How do we do this? Well 6s is equivalent to 4 GCDs, one of those GCDs is going to be RS from your previously proc’d PPA, the other 3 GCDs are what you need to figure out what to do with. For maximum efficiency, always use PS on the 4th GCD (3rd filler) to attempt to proc PPA. So your basic rotation will have a series of combos that follow the below pattern.

RS > Filler 1 (F1) > Filler 2 (F2) > PS (If no PPA; then UL or PS; else end of combo)

Furthermore, you want to give yourself as many “auto-procs” of PPA as possible. The way pyro is working currently, you can auto proc PPA when F1 or F2 above is also a PS or if you use UL’s 3s channel to cover both F1 & F2. Hence, the goal is to squeeze in a PS or an UL in accordingly during every combo. This means if F1 or F2 (or both) are already prioritized to maximize PPA proc potential, that only leaves one filler for us to figure out. The two abilities that come off cd most frequently to mix into those slots are TD and IM (we’ll get to EN and FM later), and for heat management occasional RPs will be necessary.

So before we get too ahead of ourselves, let’s start with a solid opener. After a LOT of testing on this matter, I’ve found the best opener for me to be (I’m listing the opener in a similar style to how I am laying out the priority system, using combos):

Opening Burst

TD > EN > Adrenal+IM
RS > PS (If Necessary > PS)
RS > PS > TSO+FM > PS
Begin Rotation/Priority System

The easiest way for me to explain the general priority system is to lay out the possible combos you may use and order them in highest to lowest DPS illustrated below:

Possible Combos To Use

1. RS > TD > PS > PS
2. RS > IM > PS > PS
3. RS > PS > PS > PS
4. RS > TD > RP > PS *(If Necessary > UL or PS)**
5. RS > IM > RP > PS *(If Necessary > UL or PS)**
6. RS > UL > PS (make sure not to clip UL, timing on the PS is challenging since you can’t queue)
7. RS > RP > PS > PS (rarely used)

*UL to proc PPA: Show

**In combos 4,5 - F1&F2 can be swapped depending on heat, more to come on this but just keep in mind that if IM gets bumped to F2, try to maintain IM in F2 going forward as to not clip it. The next combo that gets backed up a GCD will bring it back in line with F1.

Now we need to squeeze in EN and TSO+FM in somewhere. I’ve been inserting both of these abilities into F1 and/or F2 only in place of PS,RP,UL as they come off cd, keeping everything else intact. So for example, if I’m about to use a combo 6, I would use (EN or FM) > PS > PS instead. Or a combo 1 or 4 would become TD > (EN or FM) > PS …. I prioritize EN over FM unless I need heat regen. I only use FM with TSO and I make sure using it won’t follow with me sitting at zero heat for more than an instant. Albeit all these conditions, they pretty much just end up being used very close to on cd of EN/TSO.

So the only thing left to do is assign scenarios/heat windows that each of the above combos can be used. It’s fairly simple, When VH is off cd you’ll only use combos 1-3 and that includes EN/FM replacement combos. I start ignoring RP combos around 15-18s cd on VH and start ignoring UL around 9-12s cd on VH. It’s kinda just a feel from practice, but the goal is to use VH as close to cd as possible…by pushing your heat at just the right moment…but not overheat in the process. Some players may prefer to save VH for mess-ups, but you will maximize dps by utilizing VH as an offensive cd.

Below is the priority system with conditions, I’ve kept the structure to reflect highest combos 1st so some of these windows overlap each other. Please note that the Heat conditions are referring to where your heat is after the proc’d RS.

Rotation/Priority System Of Combos

VH < ~10s or Heat < 15
1. RS > TD > PS > PS
2. RS > IM > PS > PS
3. RS > PS > PS > PS

VH > ~15s and Heat < 31…If Heat > 24 then swap F1&F2
4. RS > TD > RP > PS (If Necessary > *UL or PS)
*If Heat <32
4b. RS > PS > (If Necessary > PS)
5. RS > IM > RP > PS (If Necessary > *UL or PS)
If Heat <24 and TD is off cd
5a. RS > TD > PS (If Necessary > PS)
If Heat <32
5b. RS > PS > (If Necessary > PS)

VH > ~9s and Heat < 28
6. RS > UL > PS

Else
7. RS > RP > PS > PS

Because of the conditions laid out above, your opener is going to be a rotation for quite some time using only the first 3 combos. After you VH you’ll almost immediately start using combo 6 and a short while later you’ll start to look to the remaining combos 4,5,7 and the subsets based on your heat and VH cd. The first use of VH will be roughly around the 3rd use of TD or IM depending on your initial PPA proc…It’s difficult to tell you exactly when to use it following the first use, but somewhere around 50-60 heat is the trigger. Practice will show you how to not use it too early or too late. You want the use of it to bring you close to 0 heat without hitting 0 for more than an instant.

Cruise Control Mode

Ok so since this rotation is excellent and requires very little thought to use, I'm adding it in to the guide. Advantages are it's extremely consistent due to the rinse & repeat aspect...and it relies on zero PPA proc RNG. It is a popular dummy rotation and it can be translated to many boss fights. I'm not a big fan of it...because well...it's a little boring, but it's arguably as good as anything written above in this guide. I would say it's potential high dps is less, and potential low dps is more due to having less PPA proc RNG. Anyway here it is, the opener is the same in the guide, and ignore UL combos until after you vent heat and then you fall into this rotation:

RS>UL>PS
RS>TD>PS>PS
RS>UL>PS
RS>IM>PS>PS

Rinse and repeat until VH is coming off cd at which point you can ignore the UL combo and use one of the others or RS>PS>PS>PS as needed.
418abeaacd1d06c4.png
Posted Dec 10, 13 · OP · Last edited Mar 1, 14
0  Cookie's
2 posts
0 Cookie's
Untagged users
Try to use this spec http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000MZbccZfIbrkRbffzz.3 for pve. When I tried it's better to take 2% crit than 6% damage from PS
icebanner1-2.png
Posted Dec 11, 13
0  Cookie's
253 posts
+9 Cookie's
Hall of Famer
wrote:
Try to use this spec http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000MZbccZfIbrkRbffzz.3 for pve. When I tried it's better to take 2% crit than 6% damage from PS

I will look more into this by checking some of my boss parses...but for my latest dummy parse on the 1 mil dummy: http://www.torparse.com/a/517329/1/0/Damage+Dealt

In this particular ability distribution, the 6% boost to missiles and Power Shot beats out 2% crit by a small margin, about .2% according to my rough calculations. Gives me something to think about though, thank you for the input :sick: I'm betting they're both pretty close under most circumstances.
418abeaacd1d06c4.png
Posted Dec 11, 13 · OP · Last edited Dec 11, 13
0  Cookie's
4 posts
0 Cookie's
Untagged users
I'm sorry, i do not think i'm authorized to write in here but ( and sorry for my poor english ) i do not find the subject where guest are supposed to write. Anyway, i would like to ask you if you own a twitch and/or a youtube channel where you put your POV during OPs. I still work hard on my priorities during each boss but i can't get something great enough for me . However, i still got an equipment who is not that bad. i.e. i just got 3k3 on a dummy instead the file of keren ( keren's arsenal DPs ) give me 3k8 on a perfect try . i still got a pretty close APM score ( 35 APM ) but the DPs doesn't follow. Do you have advices?

Ty for reading and responding.

EDIT : I have a problem about heat too, if i follow the pririty list that you use, i have to use rapid shot often to no get over 40 heat.
Posted Dec 14, 13 · Last edited Dec 14, 13
0  Cookie's
253 posts
+9 Cookie's
Hall of Famer
Hey Giga, I do have a twitch account, but I don't know how to use it :sick: That is going to change though, I will be figuring out how to use It after the holidays most likely as I'm too busy right now.

First of all, I would not use Keren's simulator for Pyrotech dps. It's a great simulator for arsenal, but it can't replicate the priority system that I've outlined in the guide.

35 APM is a little bit low for pyrotech, you want to be up around 38-40, this will come with practice and ALWAYS queuing your abilities before the previous GCD is complete (except Unload). It does take a lot of practice though, STRICT discipline on the priority system, during each GCD of Rail Shot, I look at where my heat is and use a combo from the guide based on where that heat is and what's available.

The easiest way for me to see what you're currently doing and where you can improve is for you to upload your parse to torparse.com and link it for me.
418abeaacd1d06c4.png
Posted Dec 14, 13 · OP
0  Cookie's
4 posts
0 Cookie's
Untagged users
I'll do it this evening ( i'm french so the local hour is not exactly the same, and the name of abilities too ) .

EDIT : http://www.torparse.com/a/521965/2/0/Overview

There is the parse . I did only one ( and not a dozen just before ) to show you how i simply react to the list. The end absolutly horrible, i panicked i start mouse clicking and failed everything. This i pretty much how it goes during bosses and OP in general.
Posted Dec 14, 13 · Last edited Dec 14, 13
0  Cookie's
253 posts
+9 Cookie's
Hall of Famer
wrote:
I'll do it this evening ( i'm french so the local hour is not exactly the same, and the name of abilities too ) .

oh yeah haha, maybe a list of translations? I'll try to figure it out :sick:
418abeaacd1d06c4.png
Posted Dec 14, 13 · OP
0  Cookie's
4 posts
0 Cookie's
Untagged users
I made the translated list :

TSO : Manipulation thermique
FM : Fusion missile
PS : Tir puissant
UL : Déchargement
RL : Tir aligné
IM : missile incendiaire
TD : Détonateur thermique
Electronet : Electrofilet
Vent heat : Dissipation de chaleur
PPA : accélérateur de particule prototype

Edit : Didn't see your response for a while so it's maybe because you haven't had enougt time.
I put back the torparse link : EDIT : http://www.torparse.com/a/521965/2/0/Overview
Posted Dec 14, 13 · Last edited Dec 16, 13
0  Cookie's
253 posts
+9 Cookie's
Hall of Famer
Sorry Giga, with the holidays I've been really busy...I'll take a look at it later this week once all the craziness has died down!
418abeaacd1d06c4.png
Posted Dec 19, 13 · OP
0  Cookie's
4 posts
0 Cookie's
Untagged users
ok don't worry, i'm not pushing you to do it right now, just thought maybe as i edited instead of reposting you didn't see it.
Posted Dec 19, 13
0  Cookie's
Page
of 2
Announcement of